Darla Dumler

Darla Dumler
Darla Dumler

Wednesday, August 10, 2011

The Redwood Forest


My husband and I sauntered through the thick moist soul-penetrating air to approach the majestic Redwood Forest. The sight and lack of any sound took my breath away. It was as if nature was in silent reverence of these splendid giants. My entire being was at peace, unlike any place I have ever been.

We learned these trees can grow 300 feet high. They have the smallest cone or seed and needles of all the pines. The trees are 500-700 years old on the average, with the oldest tree recorded being 2,000 years old! I can’t comprehend this with what I know in life. These giants are in an environment that has over 100 inches of rain per year, not counting the constant mist that visits their needles daily. They cannot handle extreme temperatures, especially freezing, but their largest threat is humans. 

As I stood next to the giant root, I realized my miniature size. I touched the bark of the tree to find a soft, hairy surface similar to my own hair. Unlike my skin, the bark can be 10-12 inches deep to protect the tree. This particular tree was hollow in the middle. I sat in the center cradle of this giant Redwood in awe. I received a glimpse of being in the palm of God’s gigantic hand. How enormous He must be and how minute I am. What a contrast, what an unbelievable reality that He made me, He chose me, He knows me, and He still loves little me.
Romans 1:20
For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse.

These magnificent Redwood Trees are a testament of God’s creation, balance and existence. Yet they weren’t created in God’s image, nor were they given His son Jesus to atone for their sins. Those great gifts were reserved for us. I don’t know about you, but I know I need over 100 inches of God’s living water, His word, per year and that I need a consistent steady mist of His love and grace daily to withstand the physical, spiritual, and mental elements that bombard us on this earth. God was, and still is, and is to come.

Where do you see the grandeur of God?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love for you to share your thoughts with me.