Darla Dumler

Darla Dumler
Darla Dumler

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

The Love Wash

The approach of Easter calls me to examine my acts of love. How do I treat those who hurt and betray me?
Jesus knew Judas was going to betray him, and yet he ate and slept with him, taught him, let him handle the money, and loved him. Judas saw the wisdom, mercy, grace, and love in Christ and through His miracles. In the end Judas still chose to betray him.
During the Passover supper, Jesus washed all the disciples’ feet and shared his meal without excluding Judas in any way. He treated him with mercy and grace, just like all people He served in his life.
People I love have hurt me greatly in my life, as I’m sure yours have. In the past, I would lash out or close myself off to protect myself, but that was all about me. As I have grown in my personal relationship in Christ and allowed God to heal my heart, I am beginning to understand my witness of God’s love to others is more about my actions after being hurt. I have learned to draw healthy boundaries to take care of myself and take responsibility for my mistakes and fix them. However, when people in my life hurt me, I have committed to meet them with my bowl and towel to wash their feet. I choose not to lash out or disappear or let anger, resentment, or vengeance take root. I realize I am an ambassador of Christ and I am to give the grace and mercy I received from Him.
Jesus spoke truth in love to Judas when he warned him about the woe to come to the one who betrays him. It was Judas’ decision to ignore it. No one knows what Judas reasoned in his mind to reach his decision, but it still had a consequence. Even when Judas bestowed the kiss of death and betrayal on Jesus in the garden, He showed no anger, disrespect or malice toward him. Jesus didn’t repay evil actions or attitudes for evil but for good. He let God handle the judgment and He remained the beacon and ultimate example of love before He even endured the cross.
In the end love is the greatest. With love is forgiveness, freedom, and the power of the resurrection, the new life. I don’t get it right a lot of the time, but I want to encourage you to commit to getting it right as often as you can. Wash the feet of the ones who hurt you and let God do the rest.
How are you treating the Judas in your life?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love for you to share your thoughts with me.