Darla Dumler

Darla Dumler
Darla Dumler

Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Oh the Winds of Life

The winds of life swirl to and fro inside and outside wherever you go. You can’t run and you can’t hide. How can you face them and live to thrive?

I stepped out my front door into a beautiful breezy, partly cloudy, sixty-degree day with my trusty friend Molly who lives to smell the grass, bushes, and trees on our walks.  Half a mile into our walk a mighty puff of wind hit me from the side, making it difficult to keep walking in a straight line.

“Molly, maybe this wasn’t a good idea and we should turn back,” I said, stopping to ponder my choices. “If we quit and turn around, you won’t get your exercise watching me on the treadmill and I won’t get the fresh air. Molly, we’re going to persevere because it’s only wind.”

We endured the side winds until we turned the corner. Suddenly we felt the thrust of the wind at our backs, challenging us to stay in control and not rush ahead of our feet. We persevered and kept going. We continued along a curved path to meet a gale wind head on, taking our breath away.

“Come on, Molly, we can finish,” I said, reaching down patting her head. “Let’s lean into the wind and thrust our arms and legs forward until we make it around the next corner.” We persevered and kept going to reach our last corner two blocks from home.

It would have been easy to turn around at the half mile and let the wind push us back home. Instead, I decided and committed to start and finish our journey, no matter where the wind came from or where it tried to make us go, and we made it home. 

Today’s walk was intense, leaving me weary but triumphant like many winds of trial in my life. Some come from the outside and we are aware of the conditions before we step into them; some come out of nowhere and leave us little if any control. For me, the harder winds often come from deep inside, winds of fear, sadness, uncertainty, and self doubt.

We will all have winds and be tempted to take the easy way out or to avoid them. When you decide or you are forced to walk through the winds of your life, you will find times of stillness, peace, strength, and courage in the midst of the storm, and joy on the other side. They can help sand off the rough parts of our character and build our faith and endurance, transforming us into mature Christians with more of Christ’s character so we can stay our course, just like He says in Ephesians 4:14, 15.

 14 “Then we will no longer be infants, tossed back and forth by the waves, and blown here and there by every wind of teaching and by the cunning and craftiness of people in their deceitful scheming. 15 Instead, speaking the truth in love, we will in all things grow up into him who is the head, that is, Christ.”

Be strong and persevere no matter how you feel. Don’t allow your winds of marriage, parenting, self value, doubt, fear or any other force of the destroyer have a foothold in your mind, heart, or spirit. End strong with a song.

There is a song by Casting Crowns, “Praise you in the storm,” I have linked to this blog. Please click on the video link and be inspired.
Lyrics to “Praise you in the Storm” (words by Mark Hall)                                                      
I remember when I stumbled in the wind
You heard my cry you raised me up again
My strength is almost gone how can I carry on 
If I can’t find you
As the thunder rolls
I barely hear you whisper through the rain
“I’m with you”
And as your mercy falls
I raise my hands and praise
The God who gives and takes away

Chorus

And I will praise you in the storm
And I will lift my hands
That you are who you are
No matter where I am
And every tear I’ve cried
You hold in your hand
You never left my side
And though my heart is torn
I’ll praise you in the storm

What winds or storms of life have you endured?       Praise you in the Storm Video

1 comment:

I would love for you to share your thoughts with me.