Darla Dumler

Darla Dumler
Darla Dumler

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Pure God Love


“The tongue has the power of life and death, and those who love it will eat its fruit.” Proverbs 18:21

Bob’s girlfriend had an abortion because her father demanded it. Bob was upset and decided to use his right of free speech. He posed for a pro-choice poster and held an empty blanket with the saying, “Don’t let this to happen to you.” I was asked what I thought about Bob’s right to free speech.

Freedom is a privilege, and a privilege carries responsibility. Just because you have the ability to say or do something, doesn’t mean it’s the best thing to say or do. I believe there is no free speech. All words have life or death in and attached to them. Every word spoken is subject to a good or bad consequence.  We either build one another up or tear one another down. I empathize with the man’s sadness, but he fails to have compassion for his girlfriend. She obeyed her father, and she will most likely feel the pain and loss in her heart until her last breath. Now, because of his poster and free speech, he has publicly humiliated her while she was already brokenhearted and bleeding. Where is his love?

In the end it doesn’t matter about my opinion. What matters most is what God says in His word regarding how we must love one another and ourselves, it is the second greatest commandment. The man’s statement and action doesn’t fit any description of love in the Bible, nor does it fit the dictionary definition, “to liberate and release from pain or unpleasantness.” I would like to think he reacted without taking into consideration all the ripple effects and damage it would create for his girlfriend. Often in our own pain we react and don’t think. God calls us to stop and go to Him so we can choose how to act in love, even when we are in pain, instead of just reacting. Jesus showed us on the cross this could be done, and our pain is nothing close to His.

We all need love, compassion, mercy, and grace. God says we will reap or receive what we sow (Galatians 6:7). I pray and set out to intentionally sow seeds that will grow life, love, joy, and peace. I desire and aim to think of others when I make a decision to stand up and make a statement of my character.

I wonder if we set out every day to show pure God love if we would receive it? What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love for you to share your thoughts with me.