Darla Dumler

Darla Dumler
Darla Dumler

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Sickness Reminds Me


Today I lay horizontal on my couch repeating the past two days of pain in my throat and limbs. I’ve reminisced about last week when I ran around effortlessly to chores, errands, family needs, and things I did for myself. I also recalled the continual illness of my Mom. Some days it was a feat for her to get out of bed and dressed.

One of the most amazing character traits she exuded was her ability to be grateful and not complain in any circumstance. One day I asked her why she didn’t complain. She replied, “I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. (Philippians 4:12) My strength comes from the Lord. Besides the day I have a Christopher Reeves day will be a bad day; until then I will be grateful and press on.”

Mom had been through great travails in her life and yet she was the poster woman of faith and gratitude. She taught me to reach for God’s strength when I am weary and I will find his peace and hope even when I don’t feel like it or see it. I pray someday this will be a second nature for me as it was for her.
I’m so grateful for my good health and the reality that my current body is not my last one. Until then I will do my best to care for the temple God’s given me to serve on the earth. Sickness reminds me of boundaries, how frail this earth suit is, and how blessed I am. 

What do you do for yourself spiritually when you are physically sick?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love for you to share your thoughts with me.