Darla Dumler

Darla Dumler
Darla Dumler

Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Home at Last


I just returned from a cruise to Alaska with family and friends. We enjoyed the pampering and entertainment from the ship’s crew in our city on the ocean.   For two full days we glided between the emerald green forests and the white shimmer of the waterfalls gushing from the rocks amid the trees scattered throughout fjords before we reached the towns of Juneau and Skagway. At times God’s creation of grandeur and beauty took my breath away. 

Alaska is a beautiful place to visit, but I couldn’t live in the rugged conditions with the weather, light, and isolation. Many people thrive there, I believe, because they are called to a place like this. As I’ve matured, I have discovered I am a city girl who needs temperate conditions and many people around me. At times I pull away to a quiet place to restore and regroup, but on the whole I need to be with people. 

God made each of us as unique as the plants, climates, terrain, and places on His earth. We are all driven to live, explore, and root in many places for many different reasons or seasons. It is refreshing to explore new places and people. I have lived in and visited many cities, states, and countries. In many ways I’ve felt like a nomad with no one place to call home. It has only been in the last ten years that I feel I have chosen a home in Colorado. My home base gives me the opportunity to build relationships with my family, church, and girlfriends.  That stability helps me grow and evolve into a stronger woman of God. I’m thankful for the opportunity to have a home where I can rest, grow, and thrive.

What have you learned about yourself in your travels?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love for you to share your thoughts with me.