Darla Dumler

Darla Dumler
Darla Dumler

Monday, November 14, 2011

Fear Shot Down


Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be courageous; be strong.   1 Corinthians 16:13, NIV

The other night I went to play Haunted House Laser Tag with some friends. We all suited up and for a minute I wondered what I was doing. I hate to be frightened. To make matters worse, I was the last one in our group into the maze. It was at this moment I determined in my spirit to not be afraid. I will defend my people and myself, and I will kill the bad guys. Besides, this is not real. Neither are most fears. I won’t squander another minute on fear in my life for any reason.

Several minutes into the maze of darkness I was tapped on the shoulder by a vampire. I looked at him and said, “Oh, hi,” right before I shot him. My focus was on getting my team and myself out alive. Okay, that is a little melodramatic.  But that melodrama explains why I shot at every bad guy in sight. My position changed many times within the maze. It felt best to be in the middle, protected and secure by people who love and trust me. My position made me aware of the few times in my life I have felt this protection. 

It is much easier fighting the bad guys you can see on the outside. The hardest battle we wage is between our spirit and flesh which never leaves us on this earth. It has taken me 47 years to reach the point where I am spiritually armed and do not allow fear to paralyze me. In Christ we can do all things and He will provide all we need to win the battle. When I rely on, trust, believe, and follow Him, God gives me the peace, confidence, and courage to conquer my day. I rejoice in knowing that God and I will win the war in the end. He is with me in every battle. 

How do you arm yourself for battle?


No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love for you to share your thoughts with me.