Darla Dumler

Darla Dumler
Darla Dumler

Monday, November 21, 2011

My Dead Sea


Jesus looked at them and said, “With man this is impossible, but not with God; all things are possible with God.” Mark 10:27 NIV

I saw myself smack dab in the middle of the Israelites’ fear and strife as I read their words of doubt and fear when they asked Moses to turn back because they were caught between the Dead Sea and Pharaoh’s army.

I, too, believed I was trapped in my thirteen year abusive marriage until the abuse escalated to the point of death. I knew I had to leave and not look back or all would be lost, so I escaped with my two sons. During my escape I realized I didn’t know how to live on my own without a man and for a time I questioned if I had done the right thing. You see, I knew my life was bad with my husband, but I knew what it was and wasn’t. When I escaped into the great unknown, my desert, my fear compounded my insecurities, failures, and responsibilities, often to the point of panic. Only through Christ was I able to find the courage to part my Dead Sea and walk over on dry land. I couldn’t do it on my own.  I had tried for many years. I decided I would not turn back but would hold my hands out and command my life to be different through the power of Christ.  Then I walked forward. 

Once I believed, proclaimed, and moved, the chains of fear and doubt fell off one by one. God used other people and His word to reveal the whole truth and help me understand how to keep going. Without stepping out in faith and my willingness to trust in God’s provisions, wisdom, and forgiveness, I wouldn’t have the joyous life I am now privileged to live. It is a process and a journey. With Christ in you, you can do all things.

When have you felt trapped?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love for you to share your thoughts with me.