Darla Dumler

Darla Dumler
Darla Dumler

Monday, December 5, 2011

The Miracle of Christmas


Luke 2:13, 14
13 Suddenly a great company of the heavenly host appeared with the angel, praising God and saying,
 14 “Glory to God in the highest heaven, and on earth peace to those on whom his favor rests.”

Christmas is the time to celebrate the birth of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. During our Thanksgiving Holiday, I was honored to see The Miracle of Christmas play, by the Sight and Sound Theater in Branson, Missouri .Their display of Jewish customs, traditions, and God’s interaction with His people through the angels transformed the images of this story in my mind.

In early times babies were usually born with the help of a midwife. I always pictured the birth of Jesus as an easy one, but the birth scene took my breath away. In the play Mary began the birthing process and the midwife told her to stop pushing because there were some difficulties. I immediately connected to this scene because my youngest son had his umbilical chord wrapped around his neck. I also had  to stop pushing to let the doctor help us. It’s a terrifying and helpless place to be, one of great prayer and submission.

Mary was encased in the physical reality of the birth and her emotions. The play depicted the spiritual aspect occurring at the same time. High above the stable, Satan plunged down through the sky with his sword pointed towards Mary and baby Jesus. In an instant the Archangel Michael flew through the sky with his sword drawn. With one swift swipe of his blade, he sent Satan reeling through the sky. In the next few moments the sound of the first cries of Jesus were heard and celebrated jointly in the heavenly realms and on earth.

The visualization of the spiritual warfare left me breathless, in awe, and with tears rolling down my face. We get so caught up in the physical reality, perspective, and limits of our live, we often forget the unseen spiritual realm taking place at the same time. God never leaves us. He gave us the Holy Spirit to dwell in us and help us and He even sends angels to watch over and fight for us. 

We were all given a glimpse of the kingdom and love of God’s direct interaction with His children (us) on earth through this play. Blessed be the name of the Lord who came that we might have life forever. I’m so thankful God is always working on my behalf in the physical and spiritual realms. I trust and surrender my will, heart, and life to Him in anticipation of the good plans He has for me. 

I believe in the spiritual realms. What about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love for you to share your thoughts with me.